It’s officially fall which means it’s officially soup season!!
I probably make a soup once a week during this season, usually on a Sunday so I have a big pot filled with hearty soup in my fridge when I come home from work. This vegetable stew is absolutely delicious, filling and very inexpensive!
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 sticks of celery, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- .5 lb sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1.5 lb gold potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 4 cups water
- 1.5 cup vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups peas (dethaw if frozen)
- 3 fresh sprigs rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp marjoram
- In a large pot, heat one tablespoon of water. Sautée onion, celery and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and garlic. Cook for an addition 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add diced potato, water, vegetable broth, tomato paste, dried parsley, paprika, oregano and marjoram. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in rosemary, cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Once potato is tender, add peas and stir to combine. Let cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Transfer 1/3 of the stew to a blender and blend till smooth. Pour back into the pot and stir well.