You know what’s a great way to get rid of the winter blues? Fresh produce!! I love summer mornings picking out fresh fruit and vegetables at the farmer’s market. So when winter rolls around, I like to make meals with bright colors that remind me of warmer seasons.
This quinoa stuffed peppers recipe is a great dish in summer or winter! Colorful, filling and absolutely delicious. It’s simple and I tend to make extra of the filling. Tastes great in scrambled eggs the next morning!
Steven can’t eat dairy so I simply just skip the cheese on a few peppers.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 8 oz sliced portobello mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves
- 12oz Lightlife Original Crumbles
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5-6 peppers
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut tops off peppers and hollow them out. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet with oil.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and onion into a food processor. pulse until minced
- Cook crumbles on one side of skillet. On the other half, sauté the mushrooms, garlic and onions for roughly 5 minutes. Add spinach and cooked quinoa into mixture.
- Season with basil, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Stuff peppers with filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Add another layer of cheese and broil for an extra 5.
- Top with some extra cheese and parsley. Serve hot.