Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before but Steven is lactose intolerant. I wanted to make one of our favorite cheesy dishes but without it tasting like the dairy is missing.
This dairy free mac and cheese recipe does just that! It’s still very creamy, full of flavor, and quite simple to make.
And did I mention you’ll have leftovers? What can be better than that!
- 16 ounces large macaroni
- 6 small red potatoes, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Soak cashews in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Cook macaroni as directed. Set aside.
- Fill a small pot with water and bring to boil. Add potatoes and carrots. Let cook until vegetables are tender and soft.
- While vegetables are cooking, sauté garlic and onions with olive oil in a small pan over medium heat until they have a tint of golden brown to them.
- Once cooked, place potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic in blender. I prefer taking a quarter of the onions and garlic out to add to my finished meal.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, cashews and seasonings to the mixture and blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish, and serve. Or add noodles and sauce to a baking dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs on top and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Both ways are absolutely delicious!